Monday, June 6, 2011

Edamame Avocado Dip with Spicy Wasabe

DSC_0080

Wow. All I can say is wow. It isn't very often that you stumble across a recipe that shifts your paradigms, but folks, this is it. It's like guacamole on steroids, and the craziest thing is that this stuff is good for you. No really! It is!

If you read my blog at all, you know that I am always trying to sneak healthy stuff into my family. The number one problem is that when you think "healthy" you probably also think "doesn't taste good."

That is so sad.

Healthy food, food that nourishes your body, should taste great. Maybe not like lots of bad fat, sugar, or salt, but it should taste good. And this does. This tastes so, so good. Creamy cool, with the dry heat of wasabe, ginger, and garlic, and a punch of protein from the edamame. It's so good that I want to eat it by the spoonful, and I have to keep reminding myself not to feel guilty if I do, because this really is good for me too!

DSC_0098
DSC_0076

Edamame Avocado Dip with Spicy Wasabe
adapted from The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen by Rebecca Katz





This is my new favorite cookbook, and before I freak you out, no, no-one at my house has cancer. But people who do have cancer need to eat really healthy food, and it has to taste really good because treatment has a way of killing the appetite. This cookbook does just this: really healthy food that tastes really amazing. Exactly what I need for my picky family!

Ingredients
1 cup fresh or frozen shelled edamame beans
2 avocados, peeled and pitted
1 teaspoon wasabe
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 clove minced fresh garlic
1/4 cup water
juice of 2 fresh limes (about 3 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint

1. Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Do a seasoning check, and add more salt, pepper, lime juice, or wasabe as needed (I like to kick it up to a tablespoon to really bring on the heat).

3 comments:

  1. I hate to put the practical in front of the ideal, but as soon as I saw this, I thought, the one cup edamame to 2 avocado ratio would help with party planning, since it seems as though you always get about one avocado out of ten that looks good on the outside but wasn't ready inside.

    Food trivia: very few Americans have had real wasabi, as the real Japanese root costs over $50 a pound. In fact, wasabi was banned in this country until the '80s. Nearly all of the wasabi in this country is American horseradish with dry mustard and green food coloring. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gracious, does this look delicious! I'm thinking just about anything could be eaten with this stuff--carrots, celery, pita chips. Endless possibilities. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! I'm looking for a sauce to go with salmon cakes and I think this is what I'm going to use!

    ReplyDelete